The Department of Motor Vehicles will begin the process of creating the program to issue the California bicycle license plates upon receipt of 7,500 pre-paid applications.
The Department is committed to promoting and protecting the privacy rights of individuals, as enumerated in Article 1 of the California Constitution, the Information Practices Act of 1977, and other state and federal laws.
It is the policy of the Department to limit the collection and safeguard the privacy of personal information collected or maintained by the Department. The Department’s information management practices conform to the requirements of the Information Practices Act (Civil Code Section 1798 et seq.), the Public Records Act (Government Code Section 6250 et seq.), Government Code Section 11019.9, and other applicable laws pertaining to information privacy. It is the policy of the Department to adhere to the following principles in connection with the collection, creation, use and management of personal information:
- The Department collects personal information on individuals only as allowed by law.
- The Department limits the collection of personal information to what is relevant and necessary to accomplish a lawful purpose of the Department.
Information, as defined in the Information Practices Act, includes information that identifies or describes an individual including, name, Social Security number (SSN), physical description, home address, home telephone number, education, financial matters, and medical or employment history.
- The Department endeavors in each instance to tell individuals who provide personal information to the Department the purpose for which the information is collected. The Department strives to tell individuals, who are asked to provide personal information, about the general uses that the Department will make of that information. The Department does this at the time of collection of the personal information.
- With each request for personal information, the Department provides information on the authority under which the request is made, the principal uses the Department intends to make of the information and the possible disclosures the Department is obligated to make to other government agencies and to the public.
- The Department provides individuals who provide personal information with an opportunity to review that information. The Department allows individuals, who provide personal information, to review the information and contest its accuracy or completeness.
- The Department uses personal information only for the specified purposes, or purposes consistent with those purposes, unless the Department obtains the consent of the subject of the information, or unless required or allowed by law or regulation.
- The Department uses information security safeguards. Regarding the personal information of individuals collected or maintained by the Department, the Department takes reasonable precautions to protect such information against loss, unauthorized access, and illegal use or disclosure.
- The Department’s staff is trained on procedures for the management of personal information, including limitations on the disclosure of information. Access to personal information is limited to those members of the Department’s staff whose work requires such access. Confidential information is destroyed according to the Department’s records retention schedule. The Department conducts periodic reviews to ensure that proper information management policies and procedures are understood and followed.